NEWS
Eco-friendly new-builds

The VELUX CarbonLight Homes in Kettering were designed to deliver a 70 per cent reduction in Carbon

The aim of the project was to show the viability of building energy efficient, sustainable housing that is practical, appealing and comfortable, while being easy for the volume house builder to replicate.

Energy-efficient LED systems were supplied by Philips for the two homes. With a 70 per cent reduction in emissions on site, the remaining 30 per cent are offset, for example by funding energy saving improvements to existing local housing stock.

Fabiola Craddy, Philips brand manager, said: ‘Given that lighting consumes nearly 20 per cent of global electricity consumption, an initiative such as this, which seeks to show the benefits of switching to low energy lighting, makes perfect sense.

‘The potential savings to be gained both in terms of CO2 emissions and financial cannot be ignored. And of course, today’s range of energy efficient lighting options means that light quality is not compromised.’

Natural daylight is a large feature incorporated into the design of the houses. Philips Living Ambiance has been installed within the main living areas, allowing residents to instantly match the ambiance of a room to their moods or activities.

Living Ambiance is based on a wireless system and integrates multiple fittings to create different scenes recalled via remote control.

RELATED
Brunel design students to specialise in lighting

Brunel University in West London is offering undergraduate students of product and industrial design the chance to specialise in lighting.

RELATED
Top end halogens will survive ban, says ELC

The European Lamp Companies Federation has moved to allay mounting fears in the industry that low-voltage halogen lamps will be phased out before suitable and cost-effective alternatives are ready.